When the war ended and Ray came home they moved into Marie’s house at 1005 Montgomery St. With Ray’s background in radar’s electronic installations he landed a good job with the telephone company.
With a bright future ahead as the war effort essentially ended the Great Depression, it was time to have kids. That was not to be an easy thing to make happen. But, where there is a well and prayers there is a way. Finally, Dorothy was pregnant. But, she lost the baby boy.
They acquired two red cocker spaniels and named them Rosie and Judy. There are no records to show when the puppies arrived. Given their young age in the photo below a good estimate is the pups arrived shortly after they moved in.
After a while they gave up on having a baby and began talking to the adoption agency. Ray said they were scheduled to meet a child when Dorothy found she was again pregnant. They were very careful and at the appropriate time the second most wonderful baby the world had ever seen was born [ok, he was this writer so there is a bit of bias in that statement]. They called him Tommy.
At some point in this period Ray and Dorothy must have decided they wanted a larger house and a larger yard. Marie likely wanted for her and Mark to move back to their house. As it turned out, Thelma, George’s wife’s father was a house builder. He had built and lived in a house on Juanita St. near Brookley Air Force Base. Mr. Noel was moving out so Ray and Dorothy bought it.
They lived at 1005 Montgomery St. for seven years.
In the photo captioned “Schieffelin Clan” are (left to right) Mark Schieffelin; Nellie Schieffelin; Marie Lammon with Mark Lammon the boy; Thelma Noel Schieffelin with daughter Ann on the tricycle; George Schieffelin; Dorothy Davis holding Tommy; and Ray Davis. Click the thumbnail to see the larger image and Ray.